Breaking Routine – on Business or Pleasure
Whether you’re away from home for business reasons or on vacation, it’s bound to throw your eating and fitness habits out of whack.
I found myself out-of-state recently and had to contend with a lot being out of my control – meals, ingredients, workout equipment etc. So, what did I do? I focused on the things I did have control over like:
- Exercise – you only need comfy clothes and sneakers to fit in a walk or jog. I was able to run 6 + miles while away over just a few days.
- Portion Control – if I’m not the one who’s cooking, it’s hard to pinpoint the nutritional values for my meals. But, I can make sure the quantities of food I take in aren’t over the top. Have one average serving of whatever you’re eating and then push the plate away. It’s tough but I know you can do it.
- Food choices – load up on the options that are good for you. Bring on the veggies, fruits, low-fat dairy and lean proteins. One of my favorite fillers on this recent trip was lots of steamed broccoli with fresh chopped garlic and a touch of olive oil. Sooo tasty and equally good for me.
Finally, remember that there will be times when you’re simply unable to stick to the plan. That’s okay (and also reality). Just do the best that you can with the circumstances that you’re dealt with and get back to the routine as soon as you have the chance. It’s not about the actions you take in one day, but the results of your commitment over many. The more good days you have, the better. Good luck!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- My training last week: 22.67 mi and 4017 calories burned bit.ly/qPw7jV 1 month ago
- Please consider supporting ALS research and our involvement in the Sharon Timlin Race: firstgiving.com/sharontimlinra… 1 month ago
- My training last week: 7 workouts for 18.3 mi and 3080 calories burned bit.ly/qPw7jV 1 month ago
- Quinn's doing some early morning composing on the piano. campl.us/n1KA 3 months ago