Home > Anecdotes / Thoughts, fitness, Food/Recipes > Welcoming In the New Year

Welcoming In the New Year

The hubby and I decided that we were going to take a low-key approach to welcoming in the New Year on Friday night. So, we opted for a little party for two at our house.

I made some of his favorite eats..and we indulged in a bit of carb loading throughout the night:

Garlic Bread –

Pasta in Ricotta Sauce –

And Beef Cutlets with a huge salad I didn’t take a picture of.

During and after dinner, we were glued to the TV ..taking part in a marathon of watching this:

It came recommended to us and we quickly became hooked. With little trouble, we made it through the entire season.

After many attempts (and fails) at this recipe in the past, I finally got the classic tollhouse cookie recipe right (one of hubby’s favs) – so we were able to nibble on these during the night..

The secret – don’t alter the ingredients in any way. They’re just not meant to be light I guess. J

We toasted in the New Year at 12 am with bubbly for the hubby & juice for me. After that, we needed to call it a night because of the big day ahead of us.

We signed up for the Hangover Classic 5k in Salisbury Mass – a run near the coastline. And for souls who were brave enough….there was the option to polar plunge into the water when you were done (we were among the spectators only for this):

This was hubby’s first time running a 5K and he did great. I’m so proud of him. I’m still on exercise restriction so I was planning to walk this event – since we signed up before I knew I would have to keep things low intensity. But, I ended up slow jogging ¾ of the event…and still had a fabulous time.

It was good to be outside on a 60 degree day on January 1 (can you believe it???) and getting in some exercise. Truly an awesome way to welcome in the new year. Woohoo!

And while there, we got a pamphlet for a Valentine’s day couples 5k that we think we’re gonna run. Should be fun and it’s another opportunity to hit the streets together.

Tell me all about how you brought in the New Year. What did you do?

Finally, breakfast #27 out of the 30 Days of Breakfast Challenge is the one…the only…Oats in a Jar. You can never go wrong with this easy, satisfying, nutritious option.

To make your own…place ½ c oats in a jar and mix in the following: ½ banana, 1 Tbsp PB2 or some kind of nut butter, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp sugar or sugar substitute, a few nuts or berries, 2/3 c milk (I used vanilla almond), and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice. Blend thoroughly and place in fridge for minimum of 15 minutes – enough time for milk to absorb into oats. You can even make this the night before if you have time.

When it’s ready, take a bite and enjoy the deliciousness that is Oats in a Jar. Yummy.

About these ads
  1. January 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Happy New Years. I need to celebrate with you. All I had was a six pack and McDonalds.

Congrats on the 5K. I’m waiting until the weather warms up. lol.

• January 2, 2011 at 6:47 pm

LOL. But did you enjoy the McD’s? If so, that’s cool too. It is harder getting out there when it’s chilly. Love spring and fall running the best. Happy New Year.

2. January 2, 2011 at 6:22 pm

A 5km run on new years day?! crazy! I was in bed with a teeny weeny hangover yesterday but bring on the gym sesh tomorrow!

Happy New Year!

3. Arlene
    January 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm

I love oats in a jar! Of course, mine’s usually in a Rubbermaid container … unless I have an empty nut butter jar on hand. Maybe that should be one of my New Year’s goals — to empty more jars! ;)

4. January 2, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Spartacus is SO addicting. The season starts again soon but I heard the main character isnt’ coming back1 :(

5. January 2, 2011 at 11:50 am

Happy New Year! I did my first reoslution run and it was a great time!

I’m envious of your hangover run – it looks like you guys don’t have any snow! Lucky you!

• January 2, 2011 at 11:54 am

It was really cold up until New Year’s Eve and then it got unnaturally warm. Perfect for the run though. Congrats on your resolution run!

6. January 2, 2011 at 11:14 am

I’ve been missing my oats in a jar. I need to eat some asap!
    Happy New Year! Looks like you had some great food to ring in the New Year.

7. January 2, 2011 at 9:28 am

Ahh! That 5k looks like so much fun! I actually did a Polar Bear Plunge on New Years Day! We do it every year. I was also the DD for my sister and her friends as we went to a party at a friends house and I’m not really into drinking alcohol anymore. It felt good to be the responsible one and I still had fun AND remembered the evening! I guess you can say I’m not your average college student! :)

Happy New Year!

• January 2, 2011 at 11:10 am

I give you lots of credit for taking the polar plunge. Brrr. And I’m the same way about alcohol – not really into it so I’m a good designated driver when needed.

1. No trackbacks yet.