Sweet & Sour Chicken, Italian-Style
Most of us are familiar with Sweet & Sour Chicken that’s served up on your local Chinese Food restaurant’s menu. Hunks of deep-fried chicken. Coated in a sticky, sweet sauce. Throw in a side of fried rice.
Well, this is nothing like that. -No offense to those who dig the Chinese food version.
Instead, this recipe borrowed from my Sicilian Momma gives you a contrast of sweet, sour and salty bites through a mix of flavor-packed ingredients. Relatively easy to pull off, the dish is ready in about an hour and is well worth the wait.
You’ll need (for 4 servings):
- 1 lb chicken (mix of dark and white pieces)
- 12 green olives, pitted and sliced
- 2/3 cup flour (wheat or white)
- 1/8 c capers
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 1/2 c apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil & cooking spray
- Salt & pepper to taste
Making the dish:
- Preheat frying pan with oil over medium-high heat
- Roll chicken through flour & place in pan.
- Cook 3-4 min per side. Then pour in vinegar & sugar.
- Simmer until liquid evaporates. Cover & set aside.
- Heat saucepan over medium-high heat with cooking spray.
- Saute onion, celery, olives & capers for 5 min.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Once veggies have softened, add chicken mixture to pan.
- Cook through for 20 minutes.
- Pour white wine in and cook it off for 2-3 min.
- Your dish is ready to serve
This entree goes well alongside either a side of simple mashed potatoes or a rice of your choice. And, if you’re feeling adventurous, the sauce also tastes great over wide noodles or pasta.
The Nutritional info per serving:
- Calories – 360
- Fat – 13.9 g
- Fiber – .8 g
- Protein – 29.7 g
- Carbs – 19.3 g
Hope you get a chance to try this out. It’s mighty tasty!